Monday, October 03, 2011

Oh to philly we go

Road tripping with Beks... decided we would take a drive to the great city of 'brotherly love' Philadelphia PA to grab a cheesesteaks (my reasoning) and for her to visit her hometown (her reasoning). Well we drove down enjoying the beauty of the day- all is good as we chatted on life and lies and the decisions we made. Specifically where she will move to and where I am moving to (not physically yet but emotionally, mentally etc etc). We keeps it moving.

historical stuff

we decide oh, we need to do something cultural- she always wanted to go to the Mutters museum and I am game (not knowing what a mutter is but thinking hey why not) we figure it out and head all in.

Fast forward to the Mutter's museum- oh goodness this place was definitely a trial of the wills and the temperament of the stomach. This place was DIFFERENT. DIFFERENT as in be prepared for what you shall see different. You see the Mutters museum is a requisite stop for all those who would be medically inclined and not inclined to loose their lunch seeing bodies. deceased. diseased and decrepit. I mean it was definitely something for the C.S.I person in all of us- basically showing the intricate details of things such a the affects of elephantiasis and dwarfism on bones & seeing how corsets affected a woman's rib cage and organs shifted to achieve the tiniest waist possible - apparently if you had a small waist you were wealthy cause you needed a chambermaid to lace up the thing to the tightest it could possibly be-- the less breathable the better. these things I can take-- i mean seeing a rib cage or some organs aint no thing aint no thing...

wait. there is more.

the part(s) of the museum that truly disturbed me (and beks cause apparently nausea set in) was seeing the instruments used to perform rudimentary abortions warning this will be graphic- they take what can only be described as a long corkscrew and send it up THERE to pierce said baby skull and I assume dredge out the remaining bits & forceps to deliver a baby and other unmentionables that i will not mention cause I will loose my lunch even today...

Breathe. What did I learn?
  • modern science is truly a miracle- I mean this museum was created to assist in medical research and education. all in the name of science.
  • there is a difference between an idiot and an imbecile. (according to the skulls in the museum-- I am sure further research is required on my part to discern using the terms interchangeably)
  • yes, that was a human colon that was there. a 9 ft long human colon (sorry beks)
and despite my motto of 'try everything twice' there are definitely somethings FOR SURE that you only have to do once to know that was more than enough.
Beks taking a breather

No comments: