Monday, August 05, 2013

Coffee thought...

It's cup match time!!! A time in the lovely land of Bermuda that everything shuts down and there is nothing but party fun and rivalry. The 'purpose of cup math is to celebrate the emancipation of the slaves there and elsewhere (8-1) so this particular type of ribaldry . . Is welcomed. Now a few things happen. There is this crown and anchor game (google that) that I have no idea how to play- but I think there is gambling involved. Also, the teams (Somerset vs St. George's) represent either cricket club in the island. There are wickets involved. And whites. And running in dirt. And bowling and a batter. That is the extent Of my cricket knowledge. Oh- the colors of the teams I know- st. George's is baby blue and navy blue and somerset is red and navy blue. You can guess which team I am rooting for...

Another wonderful event that happens on the rock for the past 7 years running is soca vs reggae which is a widely popular show (thrown by a cousin and his team) where they definitely put on a great great show. Artiste show and they proceed to battle on the beach. Team soda won this year.
Anywho, the weekend events include non mariners race (saturday) which is hilarious and fun to watch. Literally non-mariners (those without boats) jimmy together anything that may float and race. It is hilarious and all around comrade for the people of the island.
Gotta love island life

For me, past weened started with laundry on a friday night. Someone had to do it- so there i am. also, i got to experience a bit of Bermuda, as one of my cousins and her mom (my Auntie) came to NY to shop and do some business. Now if there is one thing bermuda folks know how to do is SHOP-- apparently it is in my blood. They are professional to the utmost and listening to the conversation and accent makes me think of my Dad and wondering if their family interaction is anything like the craziness that us 3 NY beans have.
Today i chilled. Had to recuperate from life.
Back to the grind on Tuesday.... Working till 8.
NY Beans- not sure if this is the life I signed up for...

No comments: