Friday, April 10, 2009

good friday= go fly a kite!


but not in that get-out-my-face way..
In Bermuda, on Good Friday it is a public holiday where one of the traditions are to go fly a kite.
this tradition (explained here) states:

There is said to be a special Bermuda civilian religious significance to kite flying. It started on Good Friday when a local teacher with a British Army connection had difficulty explaining Christ's Ascension to Heaven to his Sunday School class. So he launched a kite with a likeness of Christ. A traditional Bermuda made kite, from different colors of tissue paper, is still in the shape of a cross

I think that is such a neat idea & remember my dad actually taking us to Van Courtland park and flying a kite on one Good Friday. The whole experience with a picnic and sandwiches are really kind of vague to me many years later but I do distinctly remember a kite+ good Friday= a Bermudian tradition.
Some days (more than not) I wish I were on a tiny island...

No comments: