Thursday, November 10, 2011

How responsible are you?11/10

How responsible are you?

Currently in the news there is A LOT going on about Penn State and the continued sexual abuse of children who were in their care by the assistant coach of the football team. The incident happened to no less than 8 boys starting some 20 years ago. There is no statue of limitations for shame just FYI. The long time head of the team (joe paterno) who had a lifetime contract as head coach of the football team was fired yesterday following allegations he failed to do ENOUGH as someone who was informed of the situation. As I write this blog the issues at hand are: he was told of some misconduct by his employee (who is said to have witnessed the act). At the time JoePa allegedly reports it to whom he is supposed to. The question at hand: is that enough? If there is a protocol in place for such atrocities and that was it [just reporting it to you superiors and the you are done] then OK maybe he has a case. I mean If I am supposed to do A B C and I do A B C then one would think my job is done, no? No?
Ok let's tackle the moral responsibility of this man. Morally if someone is doing something wrong or you get wind of it what is your role in it? Are you supporting this behavior by action or by non action? Did you not think your non action was support? Guess some people don't think of non action as support but I think sometimes it is the same thing.
My conclusions:
Here is /was a figurehead to this football tradition at Penn. He- as well as being a father and someone in a setting that was a leadership role- turned the team around and preached a doctrine of don't just do 100% always give 110%. He was someone who said you have a responsibility to your team as much as to yourself so make sure you honor that. Well what the hell man!!! Does this bit not apply to you. Is that for everyone else to follow and you jut say the words that sound nice to hear? I do not want to overshadow the atrocities done to these children by glossing over it- but today's argument is what is his role in this whole thing?
As an administrator there is a clear chain of command and clear things I am responsible to do.  When I chose this career I kind of almost didn't know what I was getting into..I mean you learn your "job" and then you learn the culture of the job and still you know what is right and wrong.There is also a moral obligation as a flipping human being to do right. Do right. Do what is right. Why is that so hard? I feel like John Quinones "what would you do?"

No comments: