Monday, August 09, 2010

friday night folies...

It has been an incredibly stressful week that passed...doing evaluations for my staff and trying to give constructive and necessary criticisms of the work done so that the office can function at an optimal level. It is stressful to be managerial, compassionate, authoritative, informative, and someone who cares all at the same time. Everyday.Utterly trying...

Well, I was doing this and trying to have a different outlook on the way I look and on my outlook of life cause sometimes you need to change your view to see something different. I made it thru the week, most of the days I was wearing some dress that I picked up (ohh remind me to tell you of my mini $480 dress shopping spree that netted me 3 work dresses + 1 black fitted 'let's-go-out-and-get-em-dress') yeah THAT blog will have to go under the category of why you are gonna live in the ghetto all your life and be in debt too...oh, I digressed.

at any rate, Friday is the dress down day as you know, so that is my jeans & sneakers day. I had to travel to the other office to speak to one of the staff who needs a bit more speaking to (whatever something else for another blog) and end of the day came.

DNS- what you doing after work
me- getting a tattoo.
DNS- what??where when
me-after work in NYC, today.

(more convo)

DNS- someone wants to meet you
me- who?
DNS- someone who say your picture
me- (getting leery as I have heard this before +she happened to know the previous person I 'entertained'<--wasn't that entertainment folks??+ she married so I assume she wants to see everyone in love) ummm WHO & WHY?

...................

SO here is where I end up on a blind double date on a random Friday night.

dude [we'll call him Sleepy] comes to meet us (with her hubby).

He is not ugly (but immediately to me he is not attractive). He is regular. Just a regular dude who is wearing plaid shorts, sneakers, a WHITE TEE (can we say BK stand up) and a chain. I am not one to judge (ok I am lying, I judge, I judge...sue me) but I am not one to hold on to them judgements for long until you prove me right/wrong. Well we all ended up going to Charlie Mom's Chinese place (where you get linen napkins and such) and I was trying to make conversation.

Strike 1 dude- cause if you interested in me or wanted to meet me then one would think you would try to converse with me. At any time. Or even engage in conversation that is going on around you. Or talk about the weather. The food. The people. Nothing...

So I try with, so what do you do? DNS mentions he just had a birthday so I found out he is 34 which is good and bad. Good cause he looked like he was about 20 barely and this whole interaction was bordering inappropriate but Bad cause at 34 this is how you show up?

I will skip the mundane details (cause really there is nothing else to write other than Strike 2 involved him telling me I am well mannered cause I put my napkin on my lap & chew with my mouth closed & Strike 3 he earned by just being dead quiet. Which is why I call him sleepy cause after the food he was even more 'sleepy/quiet/high' actin' than before. Was he shy, I dunno, but I am not one to be the aggressor but in this scene it looked like i was the aggressor --and I am so not aggressive so imagine how that looks--and THAT is so not cool.)

I want to be pursued DAMMIT! especially if from the outset you are coming to meet me cause you saw a pic of me and wanted to get to know me. I mean really
Is it too much to ask that the man MAN UP?

Well he was like, "why don't you take my number to call me"
So I did, and immediately called him so he received my # and I responded, Ok so you call me when you wanna talk.

We all walked to the train, them headed to BK, me to the BX, I gave everyone the deuces and hopped on my faithful #2 train for the ride home.
Some more thoughts:
are you kidding me?
this is what is out there?
this is what happens when folk fix me up.
This is who they want for me (let alone what I want for myself).
this is what it has come to.

I mean, dont get me wrong, I enjoyed dinner and am really happy that someone was interested in me enough to want to attempt to meet me and it didnt end up the way that person wanted. I understand that, and am grateful.

I just want mine.

No comments: