Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Settling for Mr. Right now…(Part1)

I just read the most fascinating article calledMarry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough by Lori Gottlieb, a fascinating writer (http://www.lorigottlieb.com/).
This article was forwarded to me by one of my good friends who happens to be “in a quandary” to put it mildly. Now, my understanding of this article is that Ms. Gottlieb makes a case for not holding out for Mr. Perfect or Mr. Right in your 30’s +. That this one person could not possibly satisfy every one of your every waking needs (in a phrase complete you) does NOT exist.
Her point is if you are currently with someone who is “just ok” then maybe they should be who you marry pronto because if you are holding out for perfection or waiting on the white knight to ride up on a horse and scoop you away, you could potentially be one lonely person.

This is just one woman’s experience, and as an Ivy League educated single parent (by choice). This is her reality.
This does not sit well with me.

Again, realizing this is her experience, her opinion, her reality, I wonder what does this mean for others? (Specifically me) does this mean that I, a person who has set goals and ideas about life, specific desires and passions I want to experience, specific things I want to accomplish…
that I should just settle.

Just settle.

It sounds like something out of the stone ages.
It sounds like a dirty word.
It sounds like something in the bottom of the toilet.
It sounds like there may be some truth to it…
Think about it: giving up on the possibility of anything and accepting the reality of nothing
(I don’t like the sound of that)
And what about love? What about love?
Love, the emotion, feeling, and action that is supposed to conquer everything, that is supposed to be truly & really the end all be all. What about love? Is that not a factor in this life’s equation (not that I am walking around this earth in rose colored glasses waiting for love to fall out the sky or anything, but something has to be said about love)?
What about Fate? Faith? Trust in God’s plan?
I don’t know… I have to think more on this…
Stay tuned…

No comments: