Thursday, October 04, 2012

up and above the clouds...

Location: Somewhere flying over the Atlantic ocean
Right now I m about an hour away for St. Thomas USVI- which is good because my arse is about and hour away from being numb on these non cushy American Airlines cramped seats. (Now, while I am a curvy girl I am in no way too big to sit in a seat here however these seats are pushing it even for the small chicks in us all)  In all my years of flying , one thing that never has happened to me happened today- and I can truly say it was moving and humbling to say the least. 
TSA gathering
While we were waiting in the Miami airport there were a bunch of TSA officers surrounding our terminal.  Now, being in a post 9/11 time and everyone is a suspect when flying and the officers and police personnel with loaded guns were showing up, I got concerned. So we asked what was happening at our terminal. Unfortunately we learned that an officer (Colvin Georges) was killed in the line of duty- and his body was being air-lifted on our plane back to his family in St. Thomas. 
There was a bit of a press conference and a lot of officers paying their respect to the family.  Once the ceremony on the tarmac was completed, the plane loaded, we were off and as we were taxing down the runway, the plane was sprayed with hoses.  It was sad, humbling and awe inspiring at the same time.  Continued prayers and blessing for that family and all the families of those who serve, protect, watch over, rescue, and maintain civility for us all. 
  
sunset.

No comments: