Sunday, August 28, 2011

I thought

I thought
I thought I saw u
In the train going uptown
Must have been a figment of my imagination/ something that I thought I wanted to see.
But despite the perceived trepidation--
the thoughts of oh my goodness what am I going to say if and when I see you again-
there was nothing.
Not a hint of regret
Not a slight of remorse
Not even a whisper of care
It is like you were not even there.
Invisible
And all the while trying to capture my attention.
You could not help the amazement in your eyes- that gave you away.
You looked me over not once not twice but 5 individual times-
trying to remember the girl you left
cause she is not the woman you see.
You notice my hair-
don't recall it falling that way.
I sit with a smile from my soul -
not just my mouth and that is foreign to you.
Other men notice too what I am to be seen.
And all the while you try to remain hidden
too ashamed to look me in the eye.
Something about that makes me laugh even more at the comedy of errors
of you.
It is your stop - I remember it well.
You rush to get off the train - debating to speak or pretend this never happened.
Trust me there was a time I wished you never happened.
But I smile in your direction - hell even give a wink with my right eye/
This happened and the proof just stared you back in the face.
More assured you were the best thing I never had.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: