Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Movement & music…..

Friday Night in the city….

PIC-0449 PIC-0450


two of my favorite things are music & dance. when talented performers combine those two skills typically the results are phenomenal and empowering…simply the knowledge and awareness of ones body in correlation to sounds, beats, drums, and other performers makes dance a true art (not to dis on any of the other art forms out there, but since i could never do ballet or get in ‘toe shoes’…since i could never get my Savion/tap dance kid on) i appreciate a good combination of said music and dance. With that said...




Fela! is absolutely phenomenal! Like there are no other words to describe it. I went on Friday (3/5/10) with my friend Tricia to the Eugene O’Neill Theater to get transported back to Lagos, Nigeria in the late 1970’s…. Admittedly I know nothing of the person who is Fela Anikulapo-Kuti or all of the conflict, consciousness and connection that surrounded the man and the music or his stance. After the musical and the message and the information I read, it is amazing of what transpires in a persons’ lifetime that makes them their result… The music and dancing were passionate and powerful. The message and ‘story’ were both entertaining and on point. The performers were poetic in their dance and purposeful in their positions….I could go on but it is a must see night on the town in NY…

I love this place.!

PIC-0454 PIC-0451PIC-0453

No comments: