Tuesday, June 30, 2009

preachers

preachers
this is really a touchy subject (pun intended)...
as a woman baptised catholic, holy communion, youth choir, catholic grade school, confirmation, God-mother of 5 *boys nonetheless- i must say there is something about preachers/ reverends/ pastors/ deacons that automatically put me off. As in AUTOMATICALLY i get repulsed & my skin begins to crawl. I understand that most of their 'influence/ power/ &might' comes from what we ascribe to them i. e. how we hold them either as an example of how we should live (as a supposed holy figure & representative on earth) or as a vessel which delivers the word of God on any given day. (again see holy figure & person on earth) my problem with this is the blatant hypocrisy of a few of the pastors/ reverends & preachers alike (& maybe i am doing them all a collective disservice by grouping everyone into the same category but i view them all as the same on some days)
hypocrisy in the sense that they preach.. pass down the word or their word depending on the time of day and expect their sheep to follow. like this pastor i knew commented on the fact that people were watching/ commenting on the BET Awards & commenting on the supposed tribute to Michael Jackson.
the man just passed away on 06/25. people (BET) want to be the first to pay him tribute & they happen to be having an awards ceremony that weekend. So what happened? Some execs get together and call a few people to see if they can re-arrange a few things and perform at the show. A few good notables were Ne-Yo singing lady in my life. Jamie Foxx & Ne-Yo singing a tribute at the end. Flashbacks of MJ's life.
People (read: common everyday folk) were commenting on it live & in color via Facebook or every other source. Pastor/preacher commented on the awards itself & the fact people (us common folk) were giving so much honor/praise to MJ akin in an idolatorous spectacle & we should spend as much time in the church with the word than listening/watching this mess. Yet he tuned in himself just to have something to say it seems.
my point...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some definitely hold their opinion in higher regard than others since they hold themselves in higher regard than others. Some even chastise and berate others for not following their set path of religiousness and holiness.
I know I have (and have always had) an issues with confession. From what I was taught God was in you, around you and watching over you at all time. So why in the Sam hell would I have to go into a closet with a priest or whomever to 'confess my sins' & be forgiven by you preacher man? The way I see it, God was there, he/she knows what went down. We'll deal with that specific at a later date (when I roll up on them pearly gates).
I digressed...
All I am saying is paying tribute to a Black man (yes I said it cause he started out that way) who had an impact on many peoples lives musically, lyrically changed the way music is heard, visually changed the way videos are filmed, and internationally sold out everyplace- I see no wrong in honoring his life.
One of my problems with preachers is that *and this is paraphrased* they want to be so heavenly minded & end up being no earthly good.

just random thoughts...



No comments: