Monday, September 14, 2009

buttons

Look I am domesticated!

I actually sewed on these buttons that I finally purchased! (the button on the bottom)

((yes it is only 1 button there))

backstory--> found the dress, it was $32.00 on sale for 50% off (really a good deal) but was missing 3 of 8 buttons. So I got the dress for $10.00 and figured how hard could it be to sew on a few tiny buttons? I mean I am an intelligent chick, self- sufficient, handy and all that jazz, how much should buttons cost? how hard could it be?

Well fast forward a whole season &1/2 (cause I didn't look for buttons last year at all and then shit happened...) suffice it to say dress was still hanging in my closet with the tags still on it.

So finally I decide to just do it and go to some buttony place in NYC to purchase some much needed buttons (guess how much the buttons cost?? $10.00)

keeping tally- dress price was $10.00 has now increased to $20.00...

Then I need to go purchase a needle & thread because who keeps a needle & thread handy? Maybe those women who undoubtedly have various shades of lipstick in their purses to match any of the clothing options of the day, or possibly former girl scouts who have that always be prepared attitude... or women who are just them damn handy dandy women in general.. at the end of the day not I.
(my moms did tho..)

Add another $4.99 for the needle/thread + $5.00 on cupcakes & tea I purchased (to help the process of course)

total dress cost is NOW: $29.99

Then it is time to sew.

I pop in a good sewing movie to get motivated (Pride because I figure I will have pride when I am done with this sewing project) and proceed to sew.

start time: 9:56pm

Attempt to thread needle #1... I can totally see why my mother and Nannie used to call me to thread the needles for them when I was little. Clearly your eyesight + little fingers make for better handling of the needle/thread.
needle threaded & knotted after attempt # 4 (attempt #'s 1,2,3 failed miserably as thread got knotted midway through, then once not at all & I can't even begin to explain what happened after that last one)
15 minutes & 1 button later I declare it is time for a sewing break and must get cupcake for motivation.

break time: 10:21 pm.

after cuppa cake and washing of hands and admiration of handy work on 1 button figured I should sew on the other 7.

resume work: 11:10pm

proceed to sew on 3 more buttons, chat on phone, really intently watch movie concentrating on the form of the swimmers specifically Hakim (Nate Parker)...yummy.

movie ends approximately midnight... just in time for another break and possibly another cupcake +tea.

12:33 am: talk to friend on phone who seriously doubts the sewing aspect of this mission.

12:38 am: Seriously doubt the relationship of this friendship...

12:40 am: re-thread needle & thread (got it on the first time this time! go me!)

resume sewing buttons in earnest: 12:45 am after doing celebratory dance

sew on 1 button & take a potty break at 12:52 am

re-resume sewing on buttons 12:56 am.

decide I need new movie to watch: 12:56:36 seconds.

1:06 am- put in Daddy's little girls (ummm Idris) because hey she is an educated, talented achieving female who I am sure could sew on a button if need be. He is an educated (tho not formally), chocolate, sexy, supportive, decent and loving man who could motivate me to do just about anything (do you want some money baby? how about some chicken wings??) I digress...

watch movie, drool, sew, contemplate another cupcake, decide against that, sew, drool and watch more movie & finally

completion: 1:58 am.

I could take a picture and show you the actual completed button sewing masterpiece but since it is such a personal victory I will leave that to ya'll wonderful imaginations. Suffice it to say that as I was sewing on a total of 8 buttons a few things ran thru my mind:

  • I would never be able to work in a sweat-shop cause I would be fired for just plain not being able to thread a needle efficiently.

  • Nate & Idris are super sexy & fine- indeed I am in love

  • I think I need new glasses

  • Chocolate cupcakes (while excellently chocolaty good) DO NOT adequately substitute for...

  • hmmm yummy black men

  • Them Africans can sew.

    While I was in Ghana they whipped up my dress (whole dress not 8 buttons in 24 hours) tailored to my measurements. twenty-four hours; nuff said.

estimated cost to make dress:

you figure about $5.75/hr (min wage?) @ 4hrs= $23.00

grand total of dress= $53.00

Pride in completing project= near priceless!

No comments: